Today, I did trial scanning in the field. I went up to Sussita early to avoid the harsh sunlight, but there were no protective clouds. The scanning was easy. But the iPad had trouble registering the third scan. I did a total of sixteen scans around the perimeter of the main excavation area and in major spaces.
Back at my room on the kibbutz, I loaded the scans onto the laptop and had the same problem with auto-registration. Above is the output of my first attempt at manual registration. The cloud is quite messy and not well aligned. So, I have read up more on registration and am working on a second attempt. Weekends are helpful.